Thursday, June 20, 2013

My Son Knows About Wine...

Setting - A Wine Retail Environment

Yer Wine Dude: May I help you ma'am?
Old Lady: Please!  I got a bottle of Champagne from here about 4 years ago.  It was about $14.  Do you know what it was?
YWD: I'm afraid I'd have almost no idea.
OL: None?
YWD: We could try, but it almost certainly isn't $14 anymore.
OL: Really?  What would the price be?
YWD: I guess it all depends on the bottle.
OL: Can you show me some bottles?
YWD: Well, we have well over 100 bottles of sparkling wine in the store, so it might take a while.
OL: I might recognize it.
YWD: True, but there is a good chance that the bottle has changed the packaging since then as well.
OL: Really?  Why would they do that?
YWD: (silent, presuming that this is a rhetorical question)
OL: Do you know why they would do that?
YWD:  Oh, no ma'am.  I do not.
OL: Well, can you show me something with a pretty label?
YWD: I could, but I have a feeling that you and I might have different definitions of "pretty."
OL: How many glasses are in a bottle?



... we will skip ahead past the painful process of determining how big her glasses are, how much her guests are going to drink, and whether or not I like the wines in question...

OL: You know, I should just ask my son.
YWD: That sounds like a great idea!
OL:: Can I talk to him and come back tomorrow?
YWD: Please do.
... (YWD is not working tomorrow, as it is his off-day)
OL: He knows a lot about wine.


YWD: Can I tell you a secret?
OL: What is it?
YWD: I know a lot about wine, I sell it for a living...
OL: Oh, I guess you would!
YWD: Please let us know what he says, and we look forward to seeing you tomorrow.
OL: Thank you so much.
YWD: Yes ma'am have a wonderful rest of your afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Malachi, I'm so glad you've decided to blog about the wine store shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete